Back to Living in Kanoya Guidebook   
The Japanese tax system applies not only to Japanese nationals but also to foreign residents. Among the various kinds of taxations those ones concerning foreign residents are the following:

1.National Income Tax
National Income Tax is based upon your total yearly income (January-December) and withheld at source on salaries, bonuses, etc. Individual income tax is based on a self-assessment system and final returns must be filed between February 16 and March 15. However, at times, your employer will handle all necessary arrangements directly at the end of the year and you do not need to fill out an individual tax form.

Note: Special taxation agreements exist between Japan and foreign countries under the International Tax Treaty. Check with your regional taxation office for your tax liability.

2.Residents Tax
Residents Tax is based on the gross annual income as reported on the national tax return to the city office. In cases where income tax is deducted from your salary by your employer, your employer will handle the tax return each year.

3.Consumption Tax
A 5 % Consumption Tax is added to all purchases and services except real estate, securities, interest, medical treatment and care, tuition, and the like. A new consumption tax rate of 8% will be introduced from April 1st 2014.

For more information, contact:
Kanoya Tax Office Tel: 0994-42-3127
Kanoya City Hall Tax Division Tel: 0994-31-1112 (direct)
  Back to Living in Kanoya Guidebook   

Civic Activity Promotion Division, Kanoya City Hall
20-1 Kyoei-cho Kanoya City, Kagoshima Prefecture JAPAN 893-8501
TEL : 0994-43-2111 (Ext. 3594) FAX : 0994-40-3003
Skype : kiea1997
Copyright 2007KIEA All Rights Reserved.